Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No time to stand and stare

The one thing thats been eating up my mind for a long time now is the fact that i dont seem to have a life anymore. My day starts and ends with work... rather going to work. A few years ago i would'nt have dreamt that i, of all people, would go to work on a holiday! But sadly its happening :( Its amazing how we are sucked into this quagmire that is corporate life(or lack of life). It starts off slowly with a saturday at work and then slowly a sunday too and after 1 month you end up spending your weekdays, weekends and all holidays at work! Hell i've seen a few people who come to office on holidays because they cant visualize life without those cubicles.
I always believed that all those articles and stories about people burning out and stressing themselves out were exaggerated.. but after a few weeks of corporate life i can already see a few on the spiral path to burn out. I now truly understand why people flock to yoga and all sorts of spiritual stuff to rejuvenate themselves. I've realized that living in a cubicle can really screw around with your mind.
A few days back, Amma was in Chennai and i was showing her my apartment. The moment she went to our balcony the first thing she noticed was a nest on the tree. This particular nest was hardly 10 mts from the balcony but i had never noticed it until she showed it to me. I had however always noticed the large grandstand of the Madras Race Course whenever i went to the balcony. This might not mean anything to most people but it saddens me. To me it means that i've lost the habit of noticing the small things in life. Sadly we need grand and large artificial structures to arrest our mind. A small and delicate thing like a nest isnt good enough for us. All this reminded of a poem from my school days. This poem called "Leisure" captures my state of mind.
Leisure by W H Davies
What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare. No time to stand beneath the boughs And stare as long as sheep or cows. No time to see, when woods we pass, Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass. No time to see, in broad daylight, Streams full of stars like skies at night. No time to turn at Beauty's glance, And watch her feet, how they can dance. No time to wait till her mouth can Enrich that smile her eyes began. A poor life this if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.

6 comments:

yamini N said...

hi good to see you on the blog and gr8 that u
landed up there for that adorable poem
"what is life if full of care..."
its really sad to see all in life reduced to statistics
these days.
just went through your blog ...yeah multitasking
i was so hassled by it one day i wrote a poem on it on my blog.
my blog is split into two blogs though .
u sure read my books...just kidding...i mean i have been trying to find time
to blog my thoughts about ANITA NAIR and GRAHAM GREENE books i read.

Suman Y said...

A few days back, Amma was in Chennai and i was showing her my apartment. The moment she went to our balcony the first thing she noticed was a nest on the tree. This particular nest was hardly 10 mts from the balcony but i had never noticed it until she showed it to me. I had however always noticed the large grandstand of the Madras Race Course whenever i went to the balcony. This might not mean anything to most people but it saddens me. To me it means that i've lost the habit of noticing the small things in life. Sadly we need grand and large artificial structures to arrest our mind. A small and delicate thing like a nest isnt good enough for us. All this reminded of a poem from my school days. This poem called "Leisure" captures my state of mind.


bahut accha hai ! :)

Anonymous said...

You couldn't be more correct:-)

Unknown said...

The stupidity of your life is fixable. I did it ! It requires deep deep insight into what you are doing..... Start looking now. Don't search but just look :)

Kirti Pandey said...

This happens to be a favourite poem of mine since school days. However, in my case, I work strenuously, but try never to lose sight of the larger picture. we work to support our family, feed them, clothe them and care for them...by the same coin, we cannot dump them (the family) because a job is now occupying all our time, attention and devotion!
In complete contrast the Robert Frost Poem on '...miles to go before I sleep...' talks of labouring on till a goal is reached. So I guess we must set ourselves small goals at work or play, snatch small moments of joy and sip life instead of a quick swallow.

I am sure, now that you have noticed, you must have already begun working on the remedy. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!